ASHA Course Number: ACEF0459
Course Credits: 0.35 (3 and 1/2 hours) at the Intermediate level, Professional Area
Feeding problems in early childhood can have many different, interrelated causes and can have a profound impact on a child and family’s quality of life. This workshop will review developmental feeding milestones and discuss typical versus atypical feeding and swallowing skills seen in young children. The motor, GI, respiratory, sensory, and behavioral aspects of feeding will be explored and discussed. Feeding challenges commonly seen in children will be reviewed along with strategies to address the various issues. Environmental modifications, along with ways to support caregivers will be provided. Participants will also have the opportunity to review specific case studies to apply their understanding of concepts.
This workshop will review developmental feeding milestones and discuss typical versus atypical feeding and swallowing skills seen in young children. Feeding challenges commonly seen in children with autism, Down syndrome, and cerebral palsy will be reviewed along with strategies to address the various issues. Environmental modifications and strategies for caregiver support will be provided.
Financial Disclosure: Kim has no financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Kim has no other non-financial information to disclose.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify at least four risk factors that contribute to children’s eating problems.
- Describe and discuss at least one environmental modification, including motor and sensory based strategies that support safe feeding.
- Provide at least two strategies for supporting the caregiver/teacher to facilitate the child’s participation in mealtime routines.
- 15 Minutes Feeding Development
- 20 Minutes Etiology and Risk Factors
- 30 Minutes Feeding Issues with Specific Populations
- 25 Minutes Aspiration Risk Factors/Tube Feeding Discussion
- 85 Minutes Strategies for Intervention
- 20 Minutes Strategies for Caregiver Support
- 10 Minutes Scope of Practice and Referrals
- 10 Minutes Wrap up and General Questions