ASHA Course Number: ACEF0388
Course Credits: 0.2 (2 hours) ASHA CEUs – Intermediate level, Professional area
This course presents everything supervisors and mentors need to know when working with graduate students, speech-language pathology assistants, clinical fellows and professionals. Following a review of ASHA guidelines and what it means to supervise and mentor, participants will explore skills and influences on supervision including providing constructive feedback, cultural and generational differences, and remote supervision. Instilling reflective practice will be discussed, as will ethics in supervision.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Shellie has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Shellie has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Following instruction, participants will be able to:
- Describe the ASHA guidelines and Code of Ethics as they relate to supervision and mentoring of CFs, student interns and SLPAs
- Define, compare and analyze the conditions for supervision, training and mentoring
- Discuss 21st century influences on supervision/mentoring and other characteristics that influence our ability to be effective supervisors and mentors
- 10 Minutes: ASHA Guidelines and Ethical Responsibilities
- 30 Minutes: Defining Supervision and Mentoring and the Supervision Continuum
- 30 Minutes: Specific Roles and Responsibilities for Supervising CFs, students and SLPAs
- 20 Minutes: Communicating Effectively and Constructive Feedback
- 20 Minutes: 21st Century Influences
- 10 Minutes: Keys to Success